How to use Magnesium Oil
How to Use Topical Magnesium: General Instructions
Ancient Minerals ultra pure magnesium products contain a high concentration of 100% naturally occurring magnesium chloride and other trace minerals, drawn from the ancient Zechstein Sea and applied topically for rapid absorption of magnesium into the cells.
It is preferable to apply Ancient Minerals magnesium to clean skin, as cosmetic products can hinder uptake of magnesium ions by the skin.
When applying magnesium gel or magnesium oil at full strength, avoid direct contact with eyes, mucus membranes, and other sensitive areas. If redness or irritation occurs, rinse with cool water.
Magnesium Oil Application Guide
Ancient Minerals magnesium oil is the gold standard for quick and efficient restoration of intracellular magnesium levels. For ease of use, apply magnesium oil to the skin using a fine-mist spray bottle. To limit over spray, dispense 1-3 sprays into a cupped hand and rub into the skin thoroughly.
- For best results, apply magnesium liberally to arms and legs to ensure a large enough surface area for absorption.
- If you experience some slight skin irritation, dilute Ancient Minerals magnesium oil with 1 part water to make a 50% strength solution.
- Eight sprays of Ancient Minerals magnesium oil deliver approximately 100 mg of elemental magnesium onto the skin.
Please Note: After application you may notice a slight salt-like mineral residue remaining when the solution dries. This is normal, especially in dry climates or heated indoor areas, and varies with the amount of magnesium oil applied at one time.
If you would like to avoid this mineral residue, simply apply magnesium oil 20 minutes prior to showering each day. After 20 minutes, the majority of the magnesium ions will have been absorbed and you may rinse the solution off during normal showering or bathing. You may also choose to remove the mineral residue after 20 minutes by wiping the skin with a damp washcloth.
Magnesium Bath Flakes Application Guide
Ancient Minerals bath flakes offer an economical form for creating a healing magnesium foot bath or full tub bath. Temperature of the water should be warm but not hot. Hot water causes the skin to eliminate rather than absorb.
Dissolve 1-3 cups or more of the magnesium flakes into a warm foot bath or tub bath, and soak for 30 minutes or longer.
- For use in full body tub baths, use up to 8 lbs of magnesium flakes per bath for intense applications.
- 1 cup of Ancient Minerals magnesium flakes delivers approximately 15 g of elemental magnesium into your foot soak or tub bath.
Magnesium Lotion Application Guide
Ancient Minerals Magnesium Lotion is a smooth, quickly absorbed emulsion of magnesium chloride in a skin-nourishing base of certified organic oils. It is light enough to be utilized as a daily moisturizer while still delivering therapeutic levels of magnesium to the cells. Apply desired amount to hands, face, or body - a little goes a long way.
- For optimal uptake of magnesium ions, Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion is best applied to clean skin.
- 1 tsp. of Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion delivers approximately 185 mg of elemental magnesium on the skin.
Magnesium Gel Application Guide
Ancient Minerals magnesium gel is a unique formulation designed to remain hydrated on the skin. Apply desired amount and rub into the skin thoroughly. Most users of magnesium gel choose to rinse or wipe off the skin with a moist towel after use.
- If the magnesium gel begins to dry up during extended use, wet your hands slightly and rub your skin to rehydrate.
- 1/4 tsp. of Ancient Minerals magnesium gel delivers approximately 125 mg of elemental magnesium on the skin.
Frequency of Usage
Generally speaking, Ancient Minerals should be used with intensity during the first 3-4 months in order to ensure proper restoration of cellular magnesium levels.
- It is advisable to begin the first few days of application with modest use, and gradually work up to larger amounts.
- A 3-4 month period of restoration follows, with daily use at individual therapeutic levels.
- After an initial period of restoration, some users continue at these same levels, while others back down to using Ancient Minerals a few times per week.
These levels serve only as a general guideline, as everyone has different needs and responds differently to magnesium therapy.
Recommendations on optimal magnesium intake vary, with recent studies suggesting US RDA values may be insufficient to maintain good health.
This may be especially true for:
- Older adults
- Those with certain conditions or existing chronic health complications
- Those with a history of poor dietary choices
- Women of childbearing age
- Those experiencing emotional or physical stress, or stress caused by illness, injury or surgery
According to Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD ND, a highly respected medical authority on the subject, research over the past 20 years indicates that approximately 300 mg of magnesium is required merely to replace daily losses.1
Dr. Shari Lieberman, Certified Nutrition Specialist, FACN, recommends 500-750 mg of magnesium daily for men and women, and 500-1000 mg for those suffering from angina or osteoporosis.2
One general rule of thumb is a daily intake of magnesium of approximately 3-4 mg per pound of bodyweight. For a 200 lb male, this would equate to 600 mg to 800 mg per day.
Ancient minerals is the #1 recommended brand for trans-dermal magnesium therapy worldwide. Our magnesium oil, lotion and bath flakes provide a convenient, revolutionary method of re-mineralizing a magnesium-starved body.